Friday, June 13, 2008

What I Hope This Will Be

Though I've toyed with the idea of starting a blog in the past, it has never really taken root. Expressing my thoughts in writing has always been a fairly private enterprise for me and it is not something I do frequently. As it stands, I am somewhat of an idealist when it comes to writing. Whenever I resolve to translate a thought into words, I usually struggle and strive with it until I’ve convinced myself that I’ve articulated the thought as best as I know how. The whole process feels a lot like what I would imagine passing a kidney stone feels like. Needless to say, I am trying to move away from that. I want writing to become a pleasant and rewarding experience for me, and I’m hoping this helps. I still feel pretty precarious about displaying pieces of myself for just anyone to read, but I read a post from Blake Studdard's blog that made me want to get over that. I think to be a good writer, or any kind of artist, you have to be comfortable with disclosing parts of your soul to anyone who might care to look. I’m not saying that I think I’m some kind of an artist, but I am trying to become a good writer. I don't really know what that makes me, perhaps a neophyte, or maybe a tyro. Anyway, I think this will be good for me.

So I guess I’m going to give this a shot. I can't say that I’m going to reveal all of my inmost thoughts and feelings, but I will attempt to disclose some of them. I’ve been trying to write a book and if I feel especially intrepid one day, I may post some of it. I’m also going to Israel in a little over a week from now and I plan on using this site to keep people updated. Who knows I might even throw in some pictures.

Whatever it looks like though, I want to take the things that I’ve experienced in my life and in the time I’ve spent with the Lord and share them people. Perhaps this will be one expression of that desire.

I do appreciate those of you who will read this, and I hope that I somehow will manage to produce something that speaks to you.

2 comments:

Blake Studdard said...

You already have spoken to me, brother. You can call me brother now... yes brother, I know.

But really. I miss the crap out of you (I will talk to you before you leave), and I can't begin tell you how much of a blessing you've been in my life. I love hearing/ reading things from you. They are always very much from the Lord, so thank you for being such a Faithful One of His.

Mema said...

God Bless you Brett! I pray you find what the Lord has for you now and in the future. I have a mom's heart - just like Jennifer and I can certainly feel for you both right now. We will continue to pray for you. This will be an experience you will never forget.

Blessings upon blessings!

Sandy Whitaker
FBC Life Group