Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Poem #4

From my youth I was taught to fear you O Lord my God,
and worship you only, all of the the days of my life.

And indeed I did attempt this solemn duty;
I learned reverence and honor
and trained myself to serve you.

But you would not accept my sacrifices,
or the righteous deeds I offered.

Still my floundering attempts at spirituality were not lost on you.

And in time you broke through my religion,
bludgeoning me with grace over and over again,
until I was too tired to resist your affection .

Jeremiah once contended that you overpower us,
that in the end your will prevails on us
like a fire in our bones that we cannot restrain.

I can't say I have found this accusation false,
but, for both our sakes, I'm glad you do.

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

uh...so when did you become a poet? good stuff.